Monday, September 13, 2010

getting ready for fall


Last week my daughter-in-law, Sara sent us a picture of a beautiful fall leaf she found while out on a walk in their Chicago neighborhood. I responded that we were not jealous at all and we could go buy plenty of fall leaves at Michael's. Ok, so perhaps, I am a little jealous... So, this weekend I headed over to my daughter Christine's house to play with the kids and make some fall decorations. We made an extra big fall bunting to hang across her front porch and then we took the fabric scraps and simply tied them in little bunches to hang as a garland across her fireplace (so charming, so easy and an excellent use of fabric scraps). The kids helped us make fabric pumpkins to hang on the front door and we got out Christine's little fabric pumpkins from last year. And, wa-la! Our own little bit of Fall in Phoenix. The beautiful weather, the kids running around the yard and sitting outside eating Christine's delicious pumpkin bread rather helped the mood as well.


Didn't these pumpkins turn out cute? Check back in tomorrow and I'll share our secrets for how to make your own...


So, do you live somewhere that has a beautiful Fall? If not, what lovely little things do you do to help yourself get in the Fall spirit?

10 comments:

paige said...

love pumpkins!
really love velvet pumpkins!

how cute!!!! i love the little spooky garland. cute baby girls too :)

marni zarr said...

what a lovely home!!! for me it's velvet pumpkins, trader joe's spiced cider and the scent of a cinnamon candle that put me in the fall spirit.

amy said...

What fantastic decorations! Looking forward to seeing how you made those little pumpkins.

Rhonda said...

Because I live in the Phoenix area, too, I don't get into the Fall mood until end of this month. Then, I go crazy, Halloween decorations galore! Velvet tops, hats, our annual fire pit party with homemade chili and cornbread.

Lora said...

It's not feeling too fall-ish here in Texas either, but your pictures put me in the mood. I think I might try to dig out some fall decorations. Love those velvet pumpkins a lot!

Lora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SplendidlyImperfect said...

I'm in love with your daughter's HOUSE! Those are my favorite houses in this whole city. So pretty. The decorations are just icing on the cake. :)

I've been making new decorations and putting up some old ones too. I love fall!

Susanne said...

Oh my gosh! Those pumpkins on the mantel are yum-my!
Susanne.

Ms. Dee said...

I'm from Malaysia where it's Summer all year round! Been admiring your decorations for each season, the colours the joys and fun items to make! There isn't the culture of decorating houses here so it has been really interesting and enjoyable reading ur blog and looking at the numerous pictures! Perhaps I will start the decoration culture when I have a house of my own :)

Looking forward for the pumpkin craft. It looks superbly cute! :D

Taylor K said...

I live in hot hot Phoenix where there is no fall, just like you. Sad. I drink lots of pumpkin spice lattes and eat candy corn to get me into the fall spirit. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Location